Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Tribute Album - Good or bad idea ?

James A. Smith jasmith@cim.mcgill.ca
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:04:55 -0500 (EST)

> On the other hand, I found that the Gurge's Stand in line, McCormack's P&TP
> and Augie March's Beds, gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I know they
> each have their own style, but think they showed a degree of self indulgence
> & disrespect in their "tributes" to the Oils' tracks they covered.

Actually, I really like the version of Stand in Line.  Augie March's Beds
is so quiet that I don't even notice any more... granted it's a little
excessive at almost eight minutes.  After I posted a note about getting
the CD last week I burnt a copy of the Tribute album along with some
tracks from Spiderbait, Daniel Belanger's live albums and Liberdade onto
one CD.  I removed McCormack's P&TP and I don't miss it a bit.

I played that CD at work and it got positive reviews, especially for the
DnD tracks because my coworkers recognized them.  We've got some Massive
Attack and NiN fans here so the harder the music gets the better.

-James