Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Orlando House of Blues Show

Brett Steinwand BSteinwand@msn.com
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 02:33:14 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C168C6.E1D48860

I just returned from the Orlando House of Blues Show.  Simply a fantastic=
 experience.  My first Oils show and easily the best show I have ever see=
n.

The Setlist:

Redneck Wonderland
Too Much Sunshine
Sell My Soul
Dreamworld
Say your Prayers
-----------------
  front set
Beds are Burning
Short Memory
Luritja Way
Blue Sky Mine
----------------
Truganini
The Real Thing
Golden Age
King of the Mountain
Dead Heart
Sometimes
Forgotten Years

Encore:
One Country
Mozzie March
Read About It

I wanted to give some impressions while they were fresh in my mind:

First of all I bought "special reserved seating" which I hoped meant that=
 I got to sit back there with Rob and work the bass drum, but no such luc=
k.  I was actually in a balcony level, probably further away than 80% of =
the people there.  Should have been on the floor, but I can't complain. T=
he place was small and I had an excellent unobstructed view. Great sound.

Hearing the Real Thing was a surprise.  I don't remember anyone posting t=
hat song in any of the previous setlists.  I feel quite fortunate to have=
 heard it. After the song Peter talked about corporate brainwashing, hija=
cking good songs to make a product seem cool, specifically "choke-a-cola"=
 as he called it. He dedicated the Real Thing to the Australians in the a=
udience.

Prior to "Sell my soul" Peter said something like "what better place than=
 this to play a song called Sell my Soul?"  This was referring to the fac=
t that House of Blues is in Downtown Disney.

Short memory was incredible live!

Peter discussed many different topics, but I dont think my attempts to pa=
raphrase would do him any justice.

Peter accidentally did an intro for "Forgotten Years" prior to "Sometimes=
."  The band launched into Sometimes while he tried to correct himself.  =
Seemed amused. Fantastic drum solo during sometimes.

During the encore a young woman jumped on stage and did a cartwheel.  The=
n she was escorted off.  Peter said "nice gymnastic" and wondered if she =
was a mousekateer (I think I misspelled that).  =20

He said the new CD is due out in February ( I assume that is in the USA).=
  He also said that "Say your Prayers" will be on the new album, but I do=
nt know if that is a USA thing only since the Real Thing was never releas=
ed here (as far as I know).

All the new songs were great, cant wait for the CD.

Tried to find the band after the show but had no success.

Well that is all I can think of.  Time to sleep.  Please forgive any typo=
s, I'm in a semi-somnolent state.

Brett Steinwand
Sebastian, Florida, USA

 =20

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C168C6.E1D48860

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I just returne=
d from the Orlando House of Blues Show.&nbsp; Simply a fantastic experien=
ce.&nbsp; My first Oils show and easily the best show I have ever seen.</=
DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The Setlist:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Red=
neck Wonderland</DIV> <DIV>Too Much Sunshine</DIV> <DIV>Sell My Soul</DIV=
> <DIV>Dreamworld</DIV> <DIV>Say your Prayers</DIV> <DIV>----------------=
-</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp; front set</DIV> <DIV>Beds are Burning</DIV> <DIV>Shor=
t Memory</DIV> <DIV>Luritja Way</DIV> <DIV>Blue Sky Mine</DIV> <DIV>-----=
-----------</DIV> <DIV>Truganini</DIV> <DIV>The Real Thing</DIV> <DIV>Gol=
den Age</DIV> <DIV>King of the Mountain</DIV> <DIV>Dead Heart</DIV> <DIV>=
Sometimes<BR>Forgotten Years</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Encore:</DIV> <=
DIV>One Country</DIV> <DIV>Mozzie March</DIV> <DIV>Read About It</DIV> <D=
IV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I wanted to give some impressions =
while they were fresh in my mind:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>First of a=
ll I bought "special reserved seating" which I hoped meant that I got to =
sit back there with Rob and work the bass drum, but no such luck.&nbsp; I=
 was actually in a balcony level, probably further away than 80% of the p=
eople there.&nbsp; Should have been on the floor, but I can't complain. T=
he place was small and I had an excellent unobstructed view. Great sound.=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hearing the Real Thing was a surprise.&nbsp=
; I don't remember anyone posting that song in any of the previous setlis=
ts.&nbsp; I feel quite fortunate to have heard it. After the song Peter t=
alked about corporate brainwashing, hijacking good songs to make a produc=
t seem cool, specifically "choke-a-cola" as he called it. He dedicated th=
e Real Thing to the Australians in the audience.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> =
<DIV>Prior to "Sell my soul" Peter said something like "what better place=
 than this to play a song called Sell my Soul?" &nbsp;This was referring =
to the fact that House of Blues is in Downtown Disney.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<=
/DIV> <DIV>Short memory was incredible live!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV=
>Peter discussed many different topics, but I dont think my attempts to p=
araphrase would do&nbsp;him any justice.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Pet=
er accidentally did an intro for "Forgotten Years" prior to "Sometimes."&=
nbsp; The band launched into Sometimes while he tried to correct himself.=
&nbsp; Seemed amused. Fantastic drum solo during sometimes.</DIV> <DIV>&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>During the encore a young woman jumped on stage and did a=
 cartwheel.&nbsp; Then she was escorted off.&nbsp; Peter said "nice gymna=
stic" and wondered if she was a mousekateer (I think I misspelled that).&=
nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>He said the new CD is due out in Febr=
uary ( I assume that is in the USA).&nbsp; He also said that "Say your Pr=
ayers" will be on the new album, but I dont know if that is a USA thing o=
nly since the Real Thing was never released&nbsp;here (as far as I know).=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>All the new songs were great, cant wait&nbs=
p;for the&nbsp;CD.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Tried to find the band af=
ter the show but had no success.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Well that i=
s all I can think of.&nbsp; Time to sleep.&nbsp; Please forgive any typos=
, I'm in a semi-somnolent state.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV=
> <DIV>Brett Steinwand</DIV> <DIV>Sebastian, Florida, USA</DIV> <DIV>&nbs=
p;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR>&=
nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C168C6.E1D48860--