Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NJ / NYC random thoughts

Chris Nelson sporto219@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:30:29 -0500

1.  Birch Hill Night Club...   MiddleOfNowhere, NJ...  How?  Why?  What a
strange choice of venue.  One one hand, it was great since it was easy to
get up close & personal.  I felt like it was in someone's dilapidated
basement, complete with ceiling tiles on the verge of falling down!  It also
was really warm in there.  That factor combined with the lack of beer
probably contributed to the lack of a second encore.

2.  The World...  Surprisingly, a very cool place to see a show.  I was a
bit skeptical due to the club's affiliation with the WWF, but it turned out
to be great.  The band really fed off the audience's energy.  One of the
World's staff said that the place held 3000 people.  I'm not sure about
that, but it was a packed, enthusiastic house!

3.  The Britney Spears Catwalk...  Both Peter and Will Hoge had fun mocking
"Britney's Sacred Ground".  I would also like to point out that it was our
own Worker Nina who led some of the audience members up onto the stage.
Nice work, Nina!

4.  Only The Strong... What an awesome song live!  Also, Luritja Way and Too
Much Sunshine are great new songs.  The new CD in February will be a
pleasant treat!

5.  To the guy standing behind me in NYC:  I'm really impressed that you
know MOST of the words, but I'd still prefer to hear the Oils sings than to
have you doing me that favor...

6.  Spotted in the crowd:  Rolling Stone writer David Fricke, who has been a
big Oils fan over the years.  Will ESPN baseball commentator Peter Gammons
be there tonight in Boston?  Keep an eye out...

That's all for now.  One more show to go tonight in Boston!