Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] song authorship, and playing boots on radio

Bawolski@aol.com Bawolski@aol.com
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:49:44 EST

--part1_4c.396a57c.29504108_boundary

In a message dated 12/17/2001 9:32:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
poppycocteau@flashmail.com writes:

> Hi Workers, just a few queries!
>
> first: are Birdman and Eye Contact the Oils' own compositions?
>
> second: I am doing a Midnight Oil special (4 hours long) next week for our
> university radio station. I will play some live tracks of course, mostly
> from official releases but there are a few songs I'd like to play from
> "unofficial" sources (particularly Know Your Product, Gunbarrel Highway,
> Redneck Wonderland with a rant, alternate version of In The Valley, and
> Birdman)
>
> How do you feel about the prospect of my playing bootlegged material over
> the radio? (I am talking about live recordings that are circulating for
> free
> and made by fans for fans, I would never consider promoting a product that
> was sold at profit with no return to the band.) Also, do you see a
> difference between something an anudience member recorded themselves, and
> something that has already been broadcast over radio or TV (copyright
> issues
> with the latter?)
>
> My view is that in the extended time I have for the show, I'd like to play
> something different as well as the old standbys, to make it as interesting
> as possible and maybe win more fans! And the live discs are meant to be
> circulated anyway, what better way than radio? On the other hand, I would
> hate to have the station get in trouble over breaking any laws, as I don't
> *need* to play the extra songs. The station only has a developmental
> license
> and broadcasts at five watts.
>
> Ordinarily I would try not to use questionable material on air. However in
> this case, the Oils don't seem to mind these recordings circulating, and
> playing them would benefit the band by promoting interest. I would like to
> gather your opinions first, as this list is where I obtained these
> recordings in the first place.
>
> Thanks for your time!
> Julie Niven
> poppycocteau@flashmail.com

Jim Moginie is listed as the author of "Eye Contact."  Don't know anything
about
the other song.

As for the bootlegs and playing them over the radio, I really don't know.  I
doubt that you would cause any trouble for anyone.   Just for the sake of
discussion however, you say that the Oils don't seem to mind these type
of recordings circulating.  I was curious if anyone has ever asked them (and
if indeed that is their attitude).  Bootleg recordings of the Oils seem to be

pretty popular among this group, and I think the prevailing attitude among
fans is that it's not done to make money off the group but to enjoy as much
of their music as possible.  I don't think it's hurting their sales because
most
of the people obtaining bootleg recordings probably own every single
legitimate
recording the group has made also.  But despite that, I know a lot of bands
don't like to be bootlegged because they feel it hurts their artistic
integrity
and robs them of the control they have over their music.  Bruce Springsteen
has gone after bootleggers in court, Pearl Jam cut them out by releasing
legitimate live "bootlegs" of all 72 shows of their recent tour, and the
Grateful
Dead embraced them by having a special section set aside for bootleggers to
set up their equipment.  Obviously different artists have different views.

On a related note, I just read an article that said a lot of record companies
are
planning to release CDs that cannot be copied.  What's worse is that it's
possible
these CDs may not be playable in computer or car CD players (a possible
by-product of the encoding device to prevent copying).

Mike

--part1_4c.396a57c.29504108_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 12/17/2001 9:32:02 PM Pacific Standard Time, poppycocteau@flashmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi Workers, just a few queries!<BR>
<BR>
first: are Birdman and Eye Contact the Oils' own compositions?<BR>
<BR>
second: I am doing a Midnight Oil special (4 hours long) next week for our<BR>
university radio station. I will play some live tracks of course, mostly<BR>
from official releases but there are a few songs I'd like to play from<BR>
"unofficial" sources (particularly Know Your Product, Gunbarrel Highway,<BR>
Redneck Wonderland with a rant, alternate version of In The Valley, and<BR>
Birdman) <BR>
<BR>
How do you feel about the prospect of my playing bootlegged material over<BR>
the radio? (I am talking about live recordings that are circulating for free<BR>
and made by fans for fans, I would never consider promoting a product that<BR>
was sold at profit with no return to the band.) Also, do you see a<BR>
difference between something an anudience member recorded themselves, and<BR>
something that has already been broadcast over radio or TV (copyright issues<BR>
with the latter?)<BR>
<BR>
My view is that in the extended time I have for the show, I'd like to play<BR>
something different as well as the old standbys, to make it as interesting<BR>
as possible and maybe win more fans! And the live discs are meant to be<BR>
circulated anyway, what better way than radio? On the other hand, I would<BR>
hate to have the station get in trouble over breaking any laws, as I don't<BR>
*need* to play the extra songs. The station only has a developmental license<BR>
and broadcasts at five watts.<BR>
<BR>
Ordinarily I would try not to use questionable material on air. However in<BR>
this case, the Oils don't seem to mind these recordings circulating, and<BR>
playing them would benefit the band by promoting interest. I would like to<BR>
gather your opinions first, as this list is where I obtained these<BR>
recordings in the first place.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for your time!<BR>
Julie Niven<BR>
poppycocteau@flashmail.com<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Jim Moginie is listed as the author of "Eye Contact."&nbsp; Don't know anything about <BR>
the other song.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
As for the bootlegs and playing them over the radio, I really don't know.&nbsp; I <BR>
doubt that you would cause any trouble for anyone.&nbsp;&nbsp; Just for the sake of <BR>
discussion however, you say that the Oils don't seem to mind these type <BR>
of recordings circulating.&nbsp; I was curious if anyone has ever asked them (and<BR>
if indeed that is their attitude).&nbsp; Bootleg recordings of the Oils seem to be <BR>
pretty popular among this group, and I think the prevailing attitude among<BR>
fans is that it's not done to make money off the group but to enjoy as much<BR>
of their music as possible.&nbsp; I don't think it's hurting their sales because most<BR>
of the people obtaining bootleg recordings probably own every single legitimate<BR>
recording the group has made also.&nbsp; But despite that, I know a lot of bands <BR>
don't like to be bootlegged because they feel it hurts their artistic integrity <BR>
and robs them of the control they have over their music.&nbsp; Bruce Springsteen<BR>
has gone after bootleggers in court, Pearl Jam cut them out by releasing <BR>
legitimate live "bootlegs" of all 72 shows of their recent tour, and the Grateful<BR>
Dead embraced them by having a special section set aside for bootleggers to <BR>
set up their equipment.&nbsp; Obviously different artists have different views.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
On a related note, I just read an article that said a lot of record companies are<BR>
planning to release CDs that cannot be copied.&nbsp; What's worse is that it's possible<BR>
these CDs may not be playable in computer or car CD players (a possible <BR>
by-product of the encoding device to prevent copying).&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Mike</FONT></HTML>

--part1_4c.396a57c.29504108_boundary--