Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Africa in Australia?

Henry Longmore Henry.Krit.Longmore@m.cc.utah.edu
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:21:28 -0700 (MST)

That's a funny episode....  Then there's the episode where Bart shoots
a bird, and cares for its eggs until they hatch and become lizards
that multiply and replenish and eat all the pigeons...

 }This reminds me of the Simpsons...

 }It seems like a good idea at a macroscopic level, but when I think about
 }it a bit more, it seems like the idea of bringing "alien" animals into
 }Australia has generally done more harm than good.
 }
 }I haven't studied this subject, but a couple of books I've read in the
 }last year have tended to point out that many extinctions in Australian
 }wildlife were related to the introduction of foreign species which
 }unbalanced the natural habitat.
 }
 }Isn't the idea of an African reserve in Australia a very similar mistake
 }in the making?
 }
 }And on a completely Hollywood level, isn't it all a bit Jurassic Park
 }sounding?
 }
 }Anyhow, something to think about...
 }