Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] LMOC Cold Chisel vs Midnight Oil
From: Miron Mizrahi
Date: 14/02/2013, 11:18 am
To: "powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Midnight Oil

as is the case with all such assertions, it is highly subjective. Both bands grew out of the same pub scene which yielded many other Aussie bands. Cold Chisel broke up a lot earlier than the Oils so had less chances of "making it big" but they are both recognised as one of the top ones. Khe San often ranks #1 on the "greatest Australian songs" which various radio stations run when they are out of fresh ideas. hang on ... what am I saying? they are ALWAYS out of fresh ideas. Jimmy Barnes (Chisel lead singer) had had a far more public/successful/significant (take your pick) solo career than any of the Oils (post Oils). both bands were known for their live shows. but anyway, even with the below ... The Black Sorrows? hardly a superstar rock group. AC/DC ... Australian? that's debatable. and then what about The Seekers? or Olivia Newton John? or Keith  Urban? or many other acts.

to me, the only relevance here is whether the term "Australian" means something in context of the band's music. Genesis could have only been English. Bruce Springsteen could have only been American. Out of those listed below, I would argue that the Oils, on a consistent basis, have weaved Australia into their music far more than any band.

Miron

How could people get so unkind?