Midnight Oil

Subject: The vision thing
From: tomspencer@eml.cc
Date: 25/10/2009, 8:30 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Midnight Oil

Dear Dingus

Hi.  I'm interested by the question of whether Mr Obama has vision, like PGa.  He seems subject to the same forces through which PGa has gotta' act, and appears (to me at least) largely trapped on climate change by the coal unions and companies.  Also, journalist Garry Wills has described the US Pres as an "Entangled Giant", trapped by the need of a "National Security State" to maintain 1000 overseas (largely secret) military bases - http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23110).

Yet Obama has re-engaged on Kyoto, the Middle East, and reducing nukes.  Maybe despite appearing to be in the pocket of Wall St, he's TOO idealistic on health care and other domestic issues, and persists in a Lincoln-esque vision of unity with others who (when not being racist) have described him as both a Nazi and a communist!