Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re:Malcolm Burn - Breathe producer
From: koala sprint
Date: 28/07/2009, 10:47 pm
To: Stephan Jänsch
CC: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

One song that seems to get little notice or discussion, but remains
one of my favourites is 'In the Rain.' It remains to this day the only
song in the entire Oils Catalogue that credits Pete Garrett as the
sole composer. I love the sound of the guitars on that one. Wasn't it
one of the few songs that they never recorded live? I seem to remember
when that massive live reproduction of their back catalogue was done,
it was one of the few missing songs.

I wonder if Malcolm has any insight as to why this was? There's
specualtion that this was a personal song for Peter and possibly about
his religious feelings.

Also, someone out there may know the answer to this, but why did most
of the Breathe CD's show Midnight Oil as the composers for all tracks,
but I've seen an exact breakdown of songwriters written somewhere else
(I can't remember where).

Also I just noticed that Malcolm plays drums on the b-side 'I see
you.' Rob must have had a bad day that day (or had too many Hurricanes
at Pat O'Brians the night before).

Cheers

NP - Ryan Adams - Wharf Rat

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Stephan Jänsch<stephan.jaensch@gmx.net> wrote:

Okay, my question to Malcolm is:

Breathe was the last Oils studio album to be released on vinyl (except
for the 20,000 Watts compilation). Some fans actually think it sounds
better on vinyl than on CD. What's your comment on that and how would
you describe the difference in the vinyl vs. CD mastering?

Gtx,

Stephan

Tom Spencer schrieb:

Dear Stephen

I'd like to know what is Malcolm's fave song from "Breathe", and why.