Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers update
From: Stuart Tangye
Date: 5/08/2008, 11:10 am
To: chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail.com>, <quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.au>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>, <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au>

 I concur with everything Chris said ­ it was a fantastic gig - but I can add
some more specifics.

The ³unannounced surf sounding² song at the end, featuring Wayne G and sone
on trumpet, was Misirlou ­ the great Dick Dale song made very popular by
being featured in the classic opening scene of, and on the sound track of,
Pulp Fiction. The first 2 instrumental tracks played were ³Iım branded² and
³Penetration² - not sure if they are originals or covers, but they were also
played at the first Wayne Goodwin fundraiser at Mona Vale last November.

I thought this performance was better than the Mona Vale one ­ Brian Ritchie
mentioned that was ³probably because they had actually rehearsed². He also
mentioned that they (Ebb Tide..) may be doing some more shows later in the
year. Brian Ritchie lives in Oz now (Tasmania specifically) so perhaps we
will be seeing more from the Hirst/Moginie/Rotsey/Ritchie lineup in the
future. I think they make a great combo!

Also, Jim Moginie will be appearing at the Harp hotel in Tempe (Sydney) on
August 14th.

Cheers

Stu

Dr. Stuart Tangye

NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Immunology and Inflammation Program
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria St
Darlinghurst.
Sydney. NSW. 2010.
AUSTRALIA

Phone       +61 2 9295 8455
Mobile      +61 (0) 413 390 306
Fax          +61 2 9295 8404
e-mail   s.tangye@garvan.org.au
http://www.garvan.org.au

Ok - the gig in fuller review.
Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers were the last act on. The Basement was sold out
and it was standing room only.
The show started off with a unknown 'surf' tune with a very up paced ' Wedding
Cake Island " sound that showed Rob Hirst at his best. The kit was a shared
kit for the evening and he took considerable time setting it up properly and
now I know why as his hitting was harder than ever and the kit was on the
verge of destruction by the end of 2nd song!!
Jim was in his " alas folk ' gear - hat and long hair and Martin actually
looks younger from when the last time I saw them ? go figure.
Wedding Cake Island was the first oils song to surface - first time I have
heard it live so I was happy! Sounded sensational
They broke into " When the Generals Talk " and Rob mentioned that the song was
not dedicated to Zimbabwe's General Magabe. The version was rocky and much
like the Ghostwriters version last year at that festival gig ( can't recall
the name ) The audience picked it up and everyone was moving and singing.
Helps Me Helps you followed with Rob on vocals. With its folk/rock drum beat
the song sounded awesome. Most the crowd knew this song and that helped the
song along.Remember the Basement is a small and intimate venue so with these
guys going off the atomosphere was amazing.
The surprise of the night was Jim singing ' Truganini '. Sounded great and he
did the song justice with many in the crowd singing out " let it burn !"  in
every chorus and the usuals " Oiiiiilllllls " was heard at the end of each
song - regardless of whether it was an oils song or not. There was no
harmonica part obviously but you did'nt really miss it - sorry PG!
Reference was made to PG not being there and that he sent his regards.
The bass player was Brian Ritchie from the Violent Femmes who did a great job.
The set finished on another surf sounding song which was un-announced and
Wayne Goodwin and son joined in on keyboards and trumpet. When I saw the
Trumpet come out I thought...ooh ooh _ Best of Both Worlds, Power & the
Passion but alas no...doh!
The gig was for Wayne Goodwin who is a popular musician but mostly unknown in
mainstream circles. He was diagnosed with cancer and is now in remission. The
gig was in support of the Luekemia foundation. The night also consisted of a
raffle and auction of music merchandise from famous artists - no Oil stuff
unfortunately.

other bands on the night were Dog Trumpet made up of former members of Mental
as Anything. Ross Wilson from Daddy Cool/Mondo Rock, the Atlantics, Ian Cooper
( violinist ) and comedians .
For $50 a ticket - it was the best $$ spent by me in a long time.
There was no mention of any other shows being lined up. The next best thing I
guess is the Angry Tradesmen gig made up of Rob , Martin and Dom Turner ( the
backsliders ) at the Vanguard/Newtown on SEP, Check the Vanguard website for
tix. I guess Jim may turn up - who knows !!!

http://www.thevanguard.com.au/

Hope that gives you guys and girls a better review of the gig!

Chris

Chris.

To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:powderworks%40yahoogroups.com.au> ;
cverdich@hotmail.com <mailto:cverdich%40hotmail.com> ;
barbsbbq@yahoo.com.auFrom <mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.auFrom> :
quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.auDate <mailto:quiltybuckle%40yahoo.com.auDate> : Mon,
4 Aug 2008 02:22:11 -0700Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the
Shorebreakers update

Was the gig as exciting as an Oils gig? Did they sound Oily? Can someone post
a fuller gig review? As Kramer on Seinfeld says "I have to know"!
And.........anyone going to see the guru of Oz music next week Neil Murray at
the Vanguard? Oooh i cant wait!"We will ride, ride, ride one more mile...Let's
Ride!"--- On Mon, 4/8/08, Barb BBQ <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au
<mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.au> > wrote:From: Barb BBQ <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au
<mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.au> >Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the
Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
<mailto:powderworks%40yahoogroups.com.au> , "chris verdich"
<cverdich@hotmail.com <mailto:cverdich%40hotmail.com> >Received: Monday, 4
August, 2008, 3:27 PMDoes anybody have any idea why the Angry Tradesmen gigs
aren't listed on their website? CheersBarbie Barb's B.B.Q. {Barb Edwards}---
On Mon, 4/8/08, chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail. com> wrote:From: chris
verdich <cverdich@hotmail. com>Subject: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the
Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@ yahoogroups. com.auReceived: Monday, 4
August, 2008, 1:31 PMHi EveryoneJust an update for those not aware and who
could not be at the Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers gig on Sunday 03AUG at the
Basement in Sydney.Rob, Jim and Martin were joined by the bass player from the
Violent Femmes and played a set of 45 + mins ( approx )Oil Songs covered were
:Wedding Cake IslandWhen The Generals Talk ( Rob on vocal )Helps me Helps You
( Rob on Vocal )Truganini ( Jim on Vocal )Plus some other surf songs . They
were joined by Wayne Goodwin and his son on keyboards and trumpet in one
song.Other acts performing that night wereRoss Wilson ( Daddy Cool & Mondo
Rock )The AtlanticsDog Trumpetamong others......Next Gig - Angry Tradesmen in
Sep at the Vanguard/Newtown.Chris.____________ _________ _________ _________
_________ _________ _Win a Nokia E51 with mobile Hotmail SMS alerts
http://www.livelife .ninemsn. com.au/compIntro .aspx?compId= 4589[Non-text
portions of this message have been removed]Find a better answer, faster with
the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com. au/search[Non-text portions of this
message have been removed]Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7
Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search[Non-text portions of this message have been
removed]