Midnight Oil

Subject: Sell My Soul Remix
From: "Matthew Mark Mesina" <soberman71@yahoo.com>
Date: 16/05/2008, 3:47 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Hey all,

     It is plainly clear that the "Sell My Soul" on the Legacy
Edition of Diesel and Dust is a remix.  I prefer the original, but I
appreciate this little attempt to give us something extra.  My main
complaint- I really don't like it when people blab during a guitar
solo, especially the only one on the record!

     As for Jim's comments in recent media, I feel he is
underestimating what is available.  Aside from the demos for 10-1 he
mentioned, I remember reading about many alternate takes from Redneck
Wonderland in somebody's notes.  They could always add b-sides to the
reissues, unless there is an official b-side release planned?  D&D
Legacy really could have eaily included the extra mixes of "beds are
burning" and the studio version of "what's so funny about peace,
love, and understanding?"  There could have been some additional
concert footage added to the dvd.  All these things would go a long
way to ease the broken hearts of Oils fans worldwide.

     And I can't believe that, not even in Australia, there is going
to be a physical CD reissue of 10-1.  Aside from the possibility of
adding the demos, a couple of remixes, tons of available concert
footage, and the new "making of" documentary, a total remaster would
give Oils fans a real treat.  Despite being over here in the states,
where the Oils were just a whispered rumor at the time of it's
release, I can see clearly that this record is a vital piece of music
history, and demands a proper reissue.

     I really do hope Jim even reconsiders releaseing some official
bootlegs.  Best of Both Worlds is amazing.  We need more of this
archival material, if only to serve as a testamony to the absolute
brilliance the Oils were able to attain when firing on all
cylinders.  People who scoff at the notion that the Oils were one of
the greatest acts in rock history will have a difficult time denying
that there was a real talent at work there upon seeing these shows.

     I've been craving some more live Oils for a while now, which is
why I've finally broken down and asked this list for help with
obtaining bootlegs.  Regardless of if I get some or not, nothing
could take the place of officially released  and remastered
material.  The world needs more Oils.

Peace,

Matt