Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: Peter Garrett, and the lead singer of his new band
From: Bruce Cameron
Date: 4/12/2007, 9:27 am
To: Nathan Arrowsmith <nathan@nathanarrowsmith.com>, powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I am all for the 2 separate portfolios and it can only
be a good thing to have more focus on environmental
issues both at a national and global perspective. PG
holding Environment and Heritage arts is most likely
what he was going to own with this result anyway, so I
do not think he has been downgraded by any respect.
And I would be sure PG will be involved very closely
working with Peny Wong to ensure both these portfolios
align.
Since I have only been back in Aus for 7wks, I have
missed out on most of the discussions pre-election.
Having also been a follower of PG's views for a long
time, I have also taken interest to ensure others
understand that he is most likely the best person for
such a portfolio and secondly, that he is a team
player. To pull this later point apart further,
talking to the masses at a concert or rally, is far
easier from the point of free speech and ignoring
censorship than being a representative for a wider
range of people as is the case of portfolio owner. I
would trust that there have been some intense
discussions back office regarding certain policies in
the leadup campaign, and that PG was categorically
involved when appropriate. I am sure these will also
continue. Agreement on approach, message or decision
is what we will then see portrayed to the public, but
trust one thing. This is a guy that has passionately
expressed on how great a country Australia is and the
need to look after it. I am sure that these feelings
have not gone away, and these are the ones that will
ensure his views and concerns remain in the forefront
of discussions he is involved in. He has more access
to more people now and that surely can only mean
exposure of some very important items that some folks
may not have been aware of to date.
I hope that PG never sells out, but I am flexible and
realistic enough to understand he is helping lead the
country in a way we potentially only dreamed of, and
these points of view will be communicated in a suit
and not a sweaty black t-shirt after belting out Don't
Wanna Be The One at the end of a 2hr set.

Keep recruiting to the cause.

--- Nathan Arrowsmith <nathan@nathanarrowsmith.com>
wrote:

We all know Pete is passionate about the arts and
the environment, so
it's perfect. If he had to deal with water and
climate change as well
he's probably be spread a little thin. Creating
these 2 portfolios
indicates the priority placed on these issues by the
Rudd government. I
honestly think the two so called 'gaffes' by Pete
were very minor and
shouldn't reflect on his ability to do the job.

I also found that Rudd article from the Guardian
interesting. Imagine a
politician with integrity leading the country!
Things are looking up.

Nathan

Peter Toluzzi wrote:

"Later, though, he shied away from the media after
two blunders when he
appeared unsure about the issues surrounding the
Kyoto Protocol and
when he
reportedly told a radio talkshow host off the
record that Labor would
change
some of its campaign promises once elected.

Garrett's minor portfolio, which also includes
heritage and the arts, is
being seen as a rebuke for those mistakes.
However, the prime
minister-elect, Kevin Rudd, has said the decision
to split the environment
portfolio between two ministers reflected the
increased importance of
issues
such as global warming and renewable energy." -
from The Guardian

So, do you Powderworkers think this is accurate or
spin? Did Peter really
make gaffes, or did the press create them out of
the need for them? Is
this
a minor rebuke, a major victory, or just
appropriate political behavior?
For that matter, do you all like Kevin Rudd? I was
impressed by the
article where he found the service aspect of
Christianity to be a big
motivation.

Please discuss, I value your opinions more than
some jerk from The
Guardian
or The SMH.

Thanks! PG's been one of my heroes since 1979 or
so, when I still lived
with my parents in the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

removed]

removed]

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs